Thursday 29 May 2014

"Hi, I'm the new intern"

Remember me?

I'm ashamed the last time I posted on my blog was in March. Now that I'm working 70 hours a week at two different jobs there isn't much spare time for blogging.

As many of you already know, I've been spending my weeks as an intern at a PR agency called MSLGROUP. Let me tell you, it has only been just over three weeks and I have already learned so much. There really isn't anything quite like jumping into something feet first.
My first day as an intern shoes.

A few days ago, us CCPR interns were asked to go back to the school to give a presentation on our internship experience thus far. I was surprised to see a ton of new faces in the classroom and quickly realized we were presenting in front of the new crop of CCPR students, not just our classmates. I had already decided I was going to improvise my presentation (I present 100 times better without pre-planned notes), and was aware of a few key points I wanted to make. I thought about what would be helpful for these people who were where I was a few months ago, when I was stressed and terrified about choosing and internship.

I gave the audience a few words of advice.

1. Don't focus on the $$$. Internships have been in the news a lot lately about whether or not it should be legal to have unpaid interns. We will see how this unfolds, but for now, it is legal and very popular. Especially in the PR, fashion and entertainment industries. Most internships are 8 - 16 weeks (maybe longer), but regardless, whether its an honorarium, minimum wage or completely unpaid, that sum of money will not make or break you in the long run. If you have to work on weekends, do it, that's what I'm doing, serving Saturdays and Sundays. It is worth a lot more than $10.25 an hour to get amazing experience, network and work somewhere you're passionate about. So choose your internship carefully, but please don't base this around the small amount of money you may be paid.

2. It's scary. Do it anyway. When I was hired at my agency, I had no clue what accounts I would be working on. As my start date got closer I was given an idea. I was going to be a Corporate/Digital intern, areas which I didn't have a lot of experience. My already bad nerves got worse, worried I wouldn't have enough knowledge in the areas to succeed. However, after being there a few weeks, I am so grateful to have been given the opportunity to gain experience in areas I wasn't comfortable in and become a more well-rounded PR professional (okay so I wouldn't call myself a PR professional yet... but soon.) If someone throws something at you that makes you want to pee yourself and crawl into a corner, go for it, you will probably really amaze yourself.

3. Always be prepared. A big question we had during our internship processes were about portfolios. Do I need one? What if I have nothing to put in it? What do I put in it? Should I bring it to my interviews? My portfolio isn't lengthy or full of amazing work I've done in the field, but you bet I still made one and gathered whatever writing samples and accomplishments I could find to fill it with. Many people weren't asked for portfolios and they stayed tucked away in their bags. However, I was asked, and I was happy to show it off during my interview. I would much rather be over prepared then appear unprepared or uninterested in the position. If you question whether or not you should bring something, bring it anyway. Who cares if your purse is a little heavier because of it?

- JS (the intern)


No comments:

Post a Comment